Mac App Store - cheaper and more diversified software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petrucci666, Oct 21, 2010.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

With the upcoming Mac App Store, do you think we'll see cheaper software come along?

From one perspective, it's one thing to go to an app and just click buy on a $0.99 or $9.99 app, but it'll be a totally different ballgame once you'll have to pull the trigger on Mac software available via an App store.

Also, do you think we'll get to purchase apps separately?

For example, kinda like you purchase the iWork suite for iPad now. You don't have to buy the whole suite on a disc like you did before, but now you can choose if you want just one of the three, two, or the whole suite.

Something I can think of is e.g. just buying Word for Mac and not buying the entire 'Office for Mac' suite

Will we see more of this not only from Apple but from other developers too?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

On the demo he purchased Pages and it also showed the individual iLife apps.

3. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

This is a tough call. Previously, Mac Developers never had to split the revenue with Apple. Even though they will save on publishing costs, this 70/30 split cannot be ignored, especially for big ones like Microsoft Office.

4. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I saw this too. But what I'm more interested (and I'm sure a few of you are) is if we'll see this with other Apple software products? Also, will we see this other developers as well?

I'm a guitar player and I love Mainstage. My friend bought Logic Studio and I tried it out. I'd like to just have Mainstage and not spend $500 on Logic Studio but rather just buy Mainstage separately.

That would just be an example of what I'm aiming for.

5. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I just hope they have made the store design better and not so top 10 as the app store is focused now.

Plus please Apple bring in a good uninstall feature in this application install/update move and we have a good thing.