Mac App Store: different controls again and X close behaviour?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stefan1975, Jan 6, 2011.

1. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

so i just updated to osx 10.6.6 and of course got the new (and boring) app store. I don't know why it needs to be so prominently in my dock and system (like in the apple button top left).

But what really amazes me is that after the strange vertical itunesX icons the app store yet again seems to have different controls. now i have three sets it seems, the default ones, the itunes ones and the app store ones ... more spacious or something, it seems taking up lots more vertical space imho.

What also seems out of place it that when i close the app store it actually closes (like on windows) instead of just closing the view of it and keep running in the background and active in the dock, it's really terminated.

doesn't apple follow it's own cocoa UI guidelines. Apple always seemed like interface freaks to me being really strict for 3rd parties as well, so that unlike linux the GUI is overall consistent but lately they seem to be lost or something, introducing more discrepancy then 3rd party apps on my system.

what's up with that?

PS! am i the only one who thinks so or is the whole mac app store a really lame OSX update. It doesn't add a thing and they should have put it in itunes instead to keep the whole app / music / video / etc. buying thing in one place instead of introducing a totally separate uncool app for that.

stefan

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

it quits because it only has one window like iPhoto, System Preferences and most of the Utilities.

3. gks macrumors 6502

This could be the beginning of separate apps to handle different things. The "Mac App Store" app could possibly handle updates for iOS apps as well.

iTunes could manage music. While a separate "iTunes Store" app could handle music and video purchases. Maybe even the iTunes Store being built into a general "Apple Store."

Purchase all of your digital goods from one app on your mac. Use iTunes to manage content only. Makes sense to me. I'd almost encourage it. iTunes is bloated as crap.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I agree that iTunes is bloated, but if they split iTunes out like that, you would have to start one app to buy a song or iPhone app, and then load another app just to sync it. Don't think that I would care for that.

5. Ifti macrumors 68000