Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
The first time I posted a review on the app store, I had to pick a username, and it was this username that was shown when posting a review. Today, when I was reading through some reviews, I noticed everyone had their regular names and you could even click them to see their other reviews. It's interesting that Apple started using our actual names without notifying us at all (at least not what I've noticed). Anyone else find that strange? It doesn't really bother me, but I can imagine some users posting reviews under the impression of not having their real name appear. What do you think?

illjazz

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
I just ran into this problem as well. I'd prefer my real name not be on there. I found the solution to this regarding iPhone and iPad apps, which are managed via iTunes... you turn off Ping completely. (So you've got two choices:
1. Use Ping if you like it and have your real name displayed on any review you post on the Mac App Store and...
2. Use Ping and enjoy and agree to your real name being posted alongside any review you post).

But Mac App Store apps are managed with the Mac App Store app, not iTunes. And there is no Ping to turn off in the Mac App Store app. So.. short of simply NOT posting any Mac App Store reviews, what's the solution there?

This is strange... can't believe Apple is making this so hard/complicated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.