Mac App Store - Download Warning(Concept)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fraaaa, May 3, 2012.

1. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

I have been wondering about this a while ago. Considered how hardware specific every Mac is why doesn't Apple apply this to their Mac Apps store(?).

The Mac App Store should warn you whether your Mac is not suitable to download an app do to its hardware. The OS knows what hardware your Mac has and the developer submit a list of specification to acknowledge customers whether their hardware is supported or not. I think is trivial. Apple managed to made this huge platform that is the App Store, yet keeps a retail paradigm where the customer has to read, and sometimes gamble on what they possess hardware wise.

I thought that Apple focuses on making the user more comfortable on avoiding the tech knowledge and enjoy the product, and I think this is a focus in which they should target next.

That applies to Steam too. :p

Attached Files:

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I was under the impression that it already did warn you (via a pop-up) if you did not meet the minimum system requirements. If I'm wrong, then I agree that they should add it. Dunno about that specific approach, but definitely some form of warning, preferably very apparent upon visiting the app page or attempting to purchase the item, is in order.

jW

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

How would apple know on what machine you are going to use the App? I can buy an App on my notebook but plan to install and run it on a different machine.

Aside of that how often does it happen that a mac can't run a certain software? This applies to pro software and those people usually know what they want and Games maybe.

I don't say it's a bad idea to have a warning but I can see why Apple didn't spend much time thinking about implementig this.

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I think as a concept it's not noticeable enough. People could easily miss a tiny red sentence on the right. An actual pop-up box should appear when you click purchase warning you. And you should physically have to click accept.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Apple doesn't have to worry about that, any user that knows how to move apps around will likely be familiar with the requirements. All Apple would have to use is the specs of the machine it's being downloaded on. It won't cover every possible use case, but it will cover the ones that users who wouldn't already know would be likely to run into.

jW

6. Fraaaa thread starter macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Well first of all is likely that the one you buy it from is the one that you will use it on. Especially for AAA games and demanding software the package is usually quite big. The game in the picture is 15GB and has no compatibility with most mobile GPU Apple has on their laptops.

Moreover if you redownload on another machine you will still have to go to the Mac App Store and then you could be prompt again.

Also the button was Red, usually is grey and the red sentence or note should be where the purchase is done. A pop up could be good too.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I know there is a popup warning for OS requirements; you can't buy a Lion required app with Snow Leopard (no matter what you do). I don't recall there is one for system specs though.