Mac App Store is a joke for developers

mmcc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Tennessee
Mac App Store is a sad joke. I have games ranking #79 in free list, #101 & #102 in the paid list for All Games for a grand total of $68 gross sales last week. Who is making money in the Mac App Store? Seriously? $68 gets me into the top 200 of All Games in the store?

The App Stores are just freebie download sources for the vast majority of Apple customers. Having freebies in the recommended list on the same page as your listed app does not help any either.

Last edited:

mmcc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Tennessee
I agree. That is really shocking. But are you talking about the US App Store or some other country's?
US Mac App Store where most of my sales occur. Actually after filtering for USA and Canada regions and accounting for the 30% take by Apple, I get all of $39 for the past week. This is with 3 games in the top 200 of All Games! Pitiful. Discouraging.

I cannot afford to spend time trying to improve my apps with that kind of revenue.

ChromeCloud

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
That kind of return is not even worth the time to keep them updated and working, let alone trying to improve them. It's really sad.

I wonder if it's the same for all kinds of apps or if it's just games that sell so poorly on the Mac App Store. I've always suspected that people barely played games on macOS.

Also, indie game development in general sounds like a really tough way to earn money.

Best of luck.

Reactions: mmcc

Partron22

macrumors 68020
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Apple should do something to help developers on mac.
Snort!
As if they would ever. We are the competition.
Or, I was until I got out when it became apparent where Apple was heading.
A walled garden is no place for small fry. Private frameworks, Grrr! The landlord will eat you.
You can thank me for some of MacOS current features, but I never got paid for them.
Other than AppleScript, I play in Win, Raspberry, Arduino and general Linux space now.
There's very little $$$ in Apple anymore. That is not an accident, it's a corporate policy.