Mac App Store New Release Day?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwm2, Jan 12, 2012.

1. jwm2 macrumors regular

Is there a day in particular the Mac App Store releases new apps. I know for the iPhone and iPad its wednesday night at 11:00pm EST. Does the same hold true for the Mac App Store?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

I didn't know that... I thought it was instant.

3. jwm2 thread starter macrumors regular

It seems at some point in the last few hours the Mac App Store has been updated with new apps. So i'm guessing its the same time but on thursday night for the Mac App Store updates.

4. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

Apps and updates are released on either a developer selected date, or as soon as they have been reviewed and passed by Apple for sale. There isn't a certain day in a week that all Apps are released on either platform.

5. jwm2 thread starter macrumors regular

You might want to tell toucharcade that, they post new releases on wednesday night all the time. The new releases for iOS are on wednesday night at 11pm EST, its a well known fact. Other apps might be released at various times but all the big ticket games are released at that time i can assure you. (i.e.: gta 3, super crate box, rocket riot, sonic cd, infinity blade 2, imame, etc)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never noticed a set time for released apps, and tbh I wonder if many other consumers have or even care about a release time

7. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

The App Store releases on the day the dev chooses. There's the approval interval, but ultimately the developer picks the release date. Both on iOS and Mac.

I think your "release wednesday" is just a big coincidence.

8. jwm2 thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly have none of you heard of the site toucharcade? Its owned by the same person who owns macrumors. I'm abit shocked to tell you the truth.

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The release date for those is actually Thursday, but due to something strange in iTunes, releases are almost always at 11:00PM the night before, not midnight the night of. The same thing happens for music. 99.99999999% of the new releases I get on iTunes are available somewhere between 10:00-11:00PM on Monday night.

It's all pure coincidence that big releases are released at that time. What's probably happening is that the big developers decided on a day of the week for iOS releases (Thursday), just like they did for console releases (Tuesday). It makes it much easier to handle press releases and whatnot that way. Any developer, big or small, selects their own release date for an app once approved.

Yes, we have. But many people here are developers, big and small, and can tell you with 100% certainty that the DEVELOPER picks the release date, not Apple.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Actually, Tuesday releases started with the publishing industry and have since been adopted by the music and home-video markets as well.

11. jwm2 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well is there a pattern for mac store apps? I noticed new apps last night, so i'm guessing thursday night is when MOST developers for the mac app store select for their releases.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Never heard of it. I have seen apps released any of the week.