Mac App Store New Release Day?

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Is there a day in particular the Mac App Store releases new apps. I know for the iPhone and iPad its wednesday night at 11:00pm EST. Does the same hold true for the Mac App Store?

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
It seems at some point in the last few hours the Mac App Store has been updated with new apps. So i'm guessing its the same time but on thursday night for the Mac App Store updates.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Berlin
Apps and updates are released on either a developer selected date, or as soon as they have been reviewed and passed by Apple for sale. There isn't a certain day in a week that all Apps are released on either platform.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
You might want to tell toucharcade that, they post new releases on wednesday night all the time. The new releases for iOS are on wednesday night at 11pm EST, its a well known fact. Other apps might be released at various times but all the big ticket games are released at that time i can assure you. (i.e.: gta 3, super crate box, rocket riot, sonic cd, infinity blade 2, imame, etc)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I never noticed a set time for released apps, and tbh I wonder if many other consumers have or even care about a release time

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
The App Store releases on the day the dev chooses. There's the approval interval, but ultimately the developer picks the release date. Both on iOS and Mac.

I think your "release wednesday" is just a big coincidence.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Honestly have none of you heard of the site toucharcade? Its owned by the same person who owns macrumors. I'm abit shocked to tell you the truth.

fishkorp

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
You might want to tell toucharcade that, they post new releases on wednesday night all the time. The new releases for iOS are on wednesday night at 11pm EST, its a well known fact. Other apps might be released at various times but all the big ticket games are released at that time i can assure you. (i.e.: gta 3, super crate box, rocket riot, sonic cd, infinity blade 2, imame, etc)
The release date for those is actually Thursday, but due to something strange in iTunes, releases are almost always at 11:00PM the night before, not midnight the night of. The same thing happens for music. 99.99999999% of the new releases I get on iTunes are available somewhere between 10:00-11:00PM on Monday night.

It's all pure coincidence that big releases are released at that time. What's probably happening is that the big developers decided on a day of the week for iOS releases (Thursday), just like they did for console releases (Tuesday). It makes it much easier to handle press releases and whatnot that way. Any developer, big or small, selects their own release date for an app once approved.

Honestly have none of you heard of the site toucharcade? Its owned by the same person who owns macrumors. I'm abit shocked to tell you the truth.
Yes, we have. But many people here are developers, big and small, and can tell you with 100% certainty that the DEVELOPER picks the release date, not Apple.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
What's probably happening is that the big developers decided on a day of the week for iOS releases (Thursday), just like they did for console releases (Tuesday). It makes it much easier to handle press releases and whatnot that way.
Actually, Tuesday releases started with the publishing industry and have since been adopted by the music and home-video markets as well.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Ok well is there a pattern for mac store apps? I noticed new apps last night, so i'm guessing thursday night is when MOST developers for the mac app store select for their releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.