Mac App Store = Planned Death of Optical Drives in Laptops?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by netdog, Oct 30, 2010.

1. netdog
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

netdog

I think so. I expect that we'll see the next line of MBPs (with the possible exception of the 17") drop the optical drive as applications will be available to a large degree for download from a centralized source.

2. Hellhammer
    Expand Collapse

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's a good point, it makes perfect sense! Hopefully you're right ;)

3. fosters2
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

My use of CD/DVD format has dropped to the point where I'm sure a single external CD/DVD unit would serve the whole office of 100 people. Takes up an incredible amount of space in the computer, so good riddance.

4. Cabbit
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Haven't used my optical drive since i got this machine over a year ago. My laptop before that went 3 years without using the optical drive for anything more than installing Office 2008 once.

App store negates the need for a optical drive other than perhaps some locked to dvd games which i tend to avoid now.

5. OllyW
    Expand Collapse

OllyW

Staff Member

Should be fun downloading the full 50 GB Logic Studio 9. :rolleyes:

6. colourfastt
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I have the external superdrive for my Air; I only use it to reinstall apps when I do a wipe & reinstall. Otherwise, physical media is so last century.

7. chrono1081
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

chrono1081

I don't think optical drives will go anywhere soon. There are certain softwares that you can't download due to size. (EastWest sample packs come to mind...)

Honestly though for laptops I think it would be a great tradeoff for most people. Ditch the optical drive and add battery life. External dvd drives can always be bought for fairly cheap. I know if it happened though you'll see all kinds of posts on Mac Rumors like "APPLE HATES US I NEED MY DVD DRIVE" and the usual "APPLE DOESNT CARE ABOUT PRO USERS" crap :rolleyes:

8. Hellhammer
    Expand Collapse

Hellhammer

Staff Member

A real pro user would benefit more from a second internal drive or from faster components than from a 8x DVD drive ;)

9. OllyW
    Expand Collapse

OllyW

Staff Member

What's a "real pro user"?

Won't it all depend on which field they are working in?

10. Hellhammer
    Expand Collapse

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Of course it does but if you need to burn a lot DVDs for your work, you should anyway use an external burner as they are much faster. I doubt that DVDs are used that much anymore by professionals, USB sticks and memory cards offer greater capacities and are faster.

11. mulo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

mulo

lol, there is nothing you can't download. its all about getting a prober isp.
    I pay $16/month for 15/15, what i get is more like 30/70

12. OllyW
    Expand Collapse

OllyW

Staff Member

CDs are still used a lot in the recording industry.

The only problem I see with Apple dropping the optical drive in their laptops is Apple. They are much more likely to add even more "thinness" as a new feature rather than the option of a second hard drive or extra battery.

13. chrono1081
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

chrono1081

You are in Europe though, the U.S. has ****** slow internet speeds : / The fastest I can get in my area is 5mb download, 450k upload but it never actually gets anywhere near those speeds :( Thats $45 a month.

14. liquidsuns
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Your lucky. I can only get 1.5mb. Fast enough to not be totally useless, but I don't look forward to downloading things.

15. mulo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

mulo

jebus!
    15/15 is the slowest I can get, that is not mobile.
    friend of mine has 90/90

16. old-wiz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

It would be nice if the ISPs didn't cap your service. i much prefer DVDs for software since it gives me at least a backup to start over if necessary. Downloading a large application at 3mbs is going to take quite a while and your ISP isn't going to be happy about it; you might get throttled as well.

17. R94N
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

R94N

Excellent point, although I do think physical media is being faded out. I think it's much easier to stream/download a film rather than buy a physical DVD and have to physically store it somewhere. But issues like bandwidth caps certainly don't help.