Mac App Store prevents piracy?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by saccento, Oct 20, 2010.

1. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Hey guys watched the live stream of the back to mac event earlier today just got home now.. What are your thoughts of the new Mac App Store? Think it'll prevent piracy or will there still be a way to download software?

2. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

They'll try to, but as iOS has shown, it won't help much. The only thing it will do, if you've read the guidelines, is kill apps that add functionality to OS X, such as theming apps, screenshot apps, Growl, etcetera.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How would the Mac App Store "prevent" piracy? If you don't want something of yours to be pirated, don't put it on the internet. That's pretty much the only thing that "prevents" piracy these days.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I do think the App Store is a hint of Apple hoping to restrict what people put on their Macs (and make a buck off every App people want)

just like they thought everyone would pay 99 cents per song to fill their iPods

my guess is it will not work out that way ... but we will see some hints of it

5. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

good point, you can get anything on the internet today.. but if it's not a .dmg file how would you be able to download it?

Of course software will still be available as a CD/DVD which could be copied and then be put online.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's not going to kill anything. It's just one more method of getting apps. Steve was even careful to specifically say that it wasn't the only way of getting apps on OS X, just they thought it was the best way. For all those apps that don't fit the app store mentality, they can keep working the same way they do now.

jW