Mac App Store Purchases

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by JavaWizKid, Mar 11, 2012.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

My new Mac came with ilife 11 pre-installed and in the Mac App Store purchases section it says iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband are not installed (install button is clickable). When I click it it says "iPhoto is already installed on this computer. Choose Software Update from the Apple menu to check for available updates". How do I make the install button grey out like the rest of my installed apps?

2. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

These applications will not 'grey out' because they were not purchased from the Mac App Store. They were pre-loaded on your computer. The Mac App Store has no way of knowing (to my knowledge) that any iLife '11 (or iWork '09) applications are installed until you try to install them from the Mac App Store. It's not like Apple checks your drive for installed applications.

I do believe that I read somewhere that in OS X Mountain Lion iLife and iWork applications will be tied to your iTunes Store account, clearing up the pre-loaded vs. Mac App Store purchase confusion. How they will do this I don't know, maybe a Software Update to tie iWork and iLife apps to Mac App Store?