Mac App store says app not installed but they came pre installed on my Mac ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wordsmithmac, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Wordsmithmac macrumors member

Wordsmithmac

When I got my Mac stuff like GarageBand and I think the rest of iLife came pre installed but I go to the Mac app store and it says not installed. When apple released updates will I get them or should I call apple for a registration key?

2. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

if i am correct, then the iLife updates will come through software update.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Correct. It's still a bit confusing as to how to keep it straight, whether updates come from AppStore or Software Update.

4. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

I think it's model dependant. If the Mac came with Lion then iLife should show up but I don't think that's the case for SnowLeopard. Also if it's the MBA it will show up because you don't get any install disks with it

5. Wordsmithmac thread starter macrumors member

Wordsmithmac

My Mac mini came with SL then I upgraded to Lion when apple gave me the key. I had iLife. It's not a biggie right now since I barely touch iLife apps but if I do I don't want an issue because it's the SL version.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, iLife versions are their own.

If your Mac was new enough to qualify for the free Lion upgrade, then it should have come preinstalled with iLife 11. iLife 11 works fine on both Snow Leopard and Lion. There aren't different "SL" and "Lion" iLife versions.

You should receive software updates for iLife via the "Software Updates". :)

7. Wordsmithmac thread starter macrumors member

Wordsmithmac

Awesome thanks for clearing that up... I'm new to Mac still figuring some things out