Mac App store says app not installed but they came pre installed on my Mac ?

Wordsmithmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
When I got my Mac stuff like GarageBand and I think the rest of iLife came pre installed but I go to the Mac app store and it says not installed. When apple released updates will I get them or should I call apple for a registration key?

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
When I got my Mac stuff like GarageBand and I think the rest of iLife came pre installed but I go to the Mac app store and it says not installed. When apple released updates will I get them or should I call apple for a registration key?
if i am correct, then the iLife updates will come through software update.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
I think it's model dependant. If the Mac came with Lion then iLife should show up but I don't think that's the case for SnowLeopard. Also if it's the MBA it will show up because you don't get any install disks with it

Wordsmithmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
I think it's model dependant. If the Mac came with Lion then iLife should show up but I don't think that's the case for SnowLeopard. Also if it's the MBA it will show up because you don't get any install disks with it
My Mac mini came with SL then I upgraded to Lion when apple gave me the key. I had iLife. It's not a biggie right now since I barely touch iLife apps but if I do I don't want an issue because it's the SL version.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It's not a biggie right now since I barely touch iLife apps but if I do I don't want an issue because it's the SL version.
FWIW, iLife versions are their own.

If your Mac was new enough to qualify for the free Lion upgrade, then it should have come preinstalled with iLife 11. iLife 11 works fine on both Snow Leopard and Lion. There aren't different "SL" and "Lion" iLife versions.

You should receive software updates for iLife via the "Software Updates". :)

Wordsmithmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
FWIW, iLife versions are their own.

If your Mac was new enough to qualify for the free Lion upgrade, then it should have come preinstalled with iLife 11. iLife 11 works fine on both Snow Leopard and Lion. There aren't different "SL" and "Lion" iLife versions.

You should receive software updates for iLife via the "Software Updates". :)
Awesome thanks for clearing that up... I'm new to Mac still figuring some things out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.