Mac App Store Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AFPoster, Jan 6, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

My wife and I both have MacBook's if I buy an App in the Mac App Store ie. iPhoto 11 can I just turn on home sharing and will she be able to get it? Or how would we go about sharing it. Also do I need to log-in to my account on her computer for her to get updates like I have to do when we share iPhone apps?

Thanks

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Home Sharing doesn't work with apps, but you have a couple options. You can simply drag and drop it over a network or using a flash drive or external hard drive, or after one of you purchases it, the other can open the Mac App Store and go to the Purchases tab and download it from there for free. Don't know what the time delay might be, if any, between purchasing it initially and having it show up on another machine, but should be pretty quick. You'll see there will be an "Install" button next to the name of the program in that list.

jW

3. ten-oak-druid macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

Biut what about accounts?

For instance, in itunes, two users can purchase music using their own accounts on two different computers. By home sharing under one account, each can use the music and movies of the other. Same goes for iOS apps.

But will the same work in the app store for OS X? Does the home sharing set up in itunes take care of this?

4. X2thaP macrumors member

Works fine.
    Just use the second option suggested by Mal, going to purchases in the Mac app store, login with your ID that you used on the first Mac and 're-download' the app.
    If you have a second account on which you purchased Mac apps and wish to get them on the other Mac, follow the same steps.

5. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Easier just to copy the apps from one computer to the other. The first time you open the apps on the second computer, it will prompt you for your Apple store password. Once that's entered, you're good-to-go.

I carefully read the T&C in the App Store and it's not just allowed, it's encouraged. (I don't recall the exact text, but it's something like it's OK for home computers that you own). This is one of my favorite parts about the App Store.

6. mclide macrumors newbie

Great to know. I bought a new applications on my iMac and it would be nice to have then on my Pro, too.

7. dantheman1987 macrumors newbie

asked for credit card detail confirmation again

I did this, then it asked me for my billing info confirmation. Will it charge me again?

Thanks

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Nope, it just asks that anytime you sign in from a new device, as a security check. Just did it today at my parents.

jW

9. Tillybug macrumors newbie

Tillybug

Thank you Purchases Tab

Yes, the new Mac App store has a purchases tab at the top! If you want all your Macs to reflect the same apps, just click the purchases tab and "install, install, install"!!! This is also extremely useful if you accidentally deleted and then emptied your trash. Although, only apps you bought in the app store will apply.

10. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I'm sorry, but I seem confused. I thought that you could share the application across multiple machines connected to one iTunes account. Not across multiple iTunes accounts. At my house, my wife and I share one iTunes account, I can download and use whatever she buys and vice versa. But if we have different iTunes accounts, (for apps) she wouldn't be able to use the apps that I purchased with her account, right?

With Home sharing, can you share music from different accounts? I know my kids will want their own accounts vs using my account to buy the music.

I'm confused. :D

11. Robster100 macrumors newbie

Nope it works exactly the same for apps as it does music.

You can both buy music and apps in your own iTunes accounts and share them with each other, does not matter if it is music, IOS apps, video's or Mac Apps purchased through the Mac App store.

All shareable in your home.

Robin

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sort of true, but sort of not. You can share apps across machines that are not set up for purchasing with the same Apple ID, but you have to authorize that machine for the account the app was purchased with. However, since there isn't a technical limitation on how many machines you can authorize, it can be practical to keep separate accounts but share apps that were purchased on each, although I don't really see the point.

jW