Mac App Store Software Updates

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MagnumOP, Nov 6, 2010.

1. MagnumOP macrumors regular

Is anyone aware???

When programs that we already own become available on the mac app store, we will be able to use the app store mechanism for automatic updates?

2. gks macrumors 6502

I'm going to say no. I doubt Apple will force developers to sell only on the Mac App store. But there is no way to prove you own the product that you purchased from the developers website. Thus, no way for the Mac App store to know that you're eligible for upgrades.

If you buy from the developers website, count on updating the way you do now.

If you buy from the Mac App Store, you will get updates through the Mac App Store app.

3. applerocks123 macrumors member

applerocks123

I think so

i bet in a future update but not when it first comes out.

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Devs prob can add a line of code to an update and the AppStore will get connected.

5. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

my initial thought was that apple would resist this because they would be serving the updates for "free." Perhaps apple will do it as a goo faith measure.

I am waiting to buy some software(currently in trial) until I can get it on the app store to hopefully avoid this problem.

6. gks macrumors 6502

lol... no... a line of code isn't going to allow for this to happen. The Mac App Store is just like the iPhone app store. You need to purchase the app from the store in order for the updates to happen. It's just the way it is.

Don't hold your breath for this. It simply isn't going to work the way you want.

Any app worth purchasing anymore uses Sparkle and will inform you of new updates when you launch the application anyway.

7. arnop macrumors regular

arnop

I'm still wondering how I'll be able to install my Apps on my MacBook Pro once I bought them on the App Store

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Nope. App Store requires changing app to add app store features, submission, etc. Not just a simple update site.

9. gks macrumors 6502

Yea. People don't even begin to realize how things work around here.

The biggest thing to think of in this regard is that Apple has receipts stored for all applications you've purchased on the Mac App Store. It can link up one to one the various applications that you've purchased and handle whether those are installed and are in need of updates.

If you haven't purchased the app from the Mac App Store then there's no way in hell they could just say "oh yea, you should get updates for this application"

For one, there's no such thing as "activation" or "serial numbers" on the Mac App Store. They're encrypted, signed applications. Just like the iPhone and iPad stores. This means if the app is installed, it's a purchased app.

How would developers feel if Apple just recognized apps that were previously installed and updated those to unlocked fully functional apps regardless of whether they were purchased or not?

Applications you purchase from the Mac App Store are completely separate from those purchased from the developers website. The executables are very different.

Do not expect applications to update in the Store. You did after all NOT buy them from the Mac App Store right? So why would the "Mac App Store" update applications you haven't purchased from it?

Right... put 2+2 together now and try to grasp the concept.

As for how the apps are installed? Well, they're installed for you automatically. Just like the iPhone and iPad equivalents.