Mac App store update says to purchase again

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by t-bear52, Jul 27, 2011.

1. t-bear52 macrumors newbie

Just got a Macbook Air. Mac app store says iLife needs 3 updates but when I try to update, App store says updates not available because I have yet to purchase the apps. The apps came with the new hardware. Not sure what to make of this. Shows 3 updates needed but wants me to purchase iLife that is already installed
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I assume these supposed updates are for Garageband, iMovie, and iPhoto? Garageband should be version 6.0.4, iMovie 9.0.4, and iPhoto 9.1.5. If you are running these versions already, chalk it up to a bug and move on, or try updating using Software Update instead. I heard that Apple set it up so that you reinstall iLife via the Mac App Store but you update via Software Update, at least for the new MacBook Airs and Mac minis.

3. t-bear52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! yes this is for these three apps on a brand new machine with Lion.
    A true Jedi Master you are. Thanks for the guidance. Truly appreciated!!

4. t-bear52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems like everyone is having this issue. I tried software update but no luck. I then downloaded the iLife updates manually from Apple Support at Apple.com. Would not install. Error message said it had to be installed via Mac App store. So round and round we go and back to where we started. A no go on updates. Very frustrating!

5. jreilly37 macrumors member

I DLed the Garageband 6.0.4 update from the Apple website but when I tried to install it it said I need Garageband version 6.0 or higher.....I'm running 6.0.2!!! :mad:

6. OutGolfn macrumors regular

I just clicked update all and it asked me to verify my itunes info. Once I did that, the 3 programs updated and now display in the purchased area.

7. ksach macrumors newbie

anyone sorted this issue out yet? i just bought a macbook air and its doing the same thing. ive tried everything, restarting, closing the app store, updating thru the app, updating via app store, updating via software update. am having a hard time refraining from going back to the store and smashing it in the retailers face!