Mac App Store vs. retail versions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by diegobgr, May 15, 2012.

1. diegobgr macrumors 6502

Hello.

I'm going to get iWork and upgrade iLife (I own the '09 version=), and also Aperture.

Do you think it's better to get them at the Apple Store, with a physical disc? Or Mac App Store is better?

I don't care about have a physical version of the software, so if it's cheaper, it's better for me.

What do you think? Where do you get your apps?

2. simsaladimbamba

There is no difference, and the Apple Retail Stores don't sell CD/DVDs containing software anymore.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

While there is no difference in the apps themselves, the App Store has far less restrictive licensing, with the ability to install it on as many Macs as you "own or control", and the ability to redownload those apps as many times as you need to, as long as they remain available on the App Store. This plus the price differences makes it a better choice for most users.

jW

4. diegobgr thread starter macrumors 6502

The only thing that concerns me a bit is iWeb/iDVD. There are not available from MAS.

I don't use them to much but you never know.

5. simsaladimbamba

Then you have to get the iLife DVD via Amazon for 40 or so USD, as even Apple does not sell those anymore.

6. diegobgr thread starter macrumors 6502

If I have to use the DVD, I can use the DVD which came with my iMac, right?

7. simsaladimbamba

If it is the correct DVD (DVD #2), then yes, it will have iLife on it, unless you buy a Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, since those come without grey Restore DVDs.