Mac App Store: Will it know I have bought boxed software?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mpstrex, Jul 25, 2011.

1. mpstrex macrumors member

mpstrex

Hi,

I couldn't think of a better title, but will the Mac App Store know I have bought boxed software, such as Aperture 3 and iWork 09, before the Mac App Store debuted? I ask because I'm about to wipe my drive and some of my software has been packed away for a move in 3 weeks and is in storage.

I have no other choice on the wiping of the drive -- it's getting its logic board replaced and possibly the hard drive, too. Both are having issues. So when my Mac is fixed, can I just re-download Aperture 3 and iWork 09 from the Mac App Store, or do I need to dig up the software later?

Thanks,

mpstrex

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

If you bought the software in store, or from a retailer, and not through the App store, as far as I know, it will not be on your iTunes account.. I don't see how they would know you bought boxed software..

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

use time machine ... if they only change the logic board your hard drive should still be intact when you get it back

4. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

I guess I was kind of hoping Apple's Mac App Store would detect that I owned a copy of Aperture 3 and iWork 09, and just update from there. Worth a shot asking. :)

Thanks,

mpstrex

5. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

I haven't used Time Machine in years... hmmm... I don't think I'll have enough time before I send it out tomorrow.

Thanks,

mpstrex

6. gnagy macrumors regular

I have the boxed version if iWork '09. It's been getting updates through the "Software Update" thing in Mac OS X. The same way the OS gets updates. I believe these updates match the updates through the App Store, so it really doesn't matter.

When I work '11 comes out, you'll have to buy it through the App Store, and I bet the same goes for people that bought iWord '09 through the App Store.