Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcoux09, Nov 29, 2010.

1. dcoux09 macrumors member

When do you think this will be up and running? I was thinking about getting my girlfriend iLife '11 for xmas, but she'd only use it for iPhoto. She currently does not have any version of iPhoto on her Mac, and lost the install CDs for iLife '09. I'm curious because it looks as if Apple will sell iPhoto individually for 15 through the Mac App Store, which would be ideal for her.

Also is it even worth it? I saw a lot of terrible reviews out there. Insight?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For people who like to have all their photos in one application to drag, crop, or otherwise organize however they want, iPhoto works very well.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I found iPhoto worked amazingly well for organizing my photos until my iPhoto Library grew to exceed 70 gig, about 20 gig of which was movies. I went back and changed the way I import photos (Much like Picasa, I don't allow iPhoto to copy them from their original location and it works a lot better now). So far I only have the most recent photos imported as I (tentatively) plan to keep the photo meta data in separate iPhoto libraries by year. I have found there is about a 20 to 1 ratio of photo sizes to iPhoto library size if I don't let it copy the pictures (from the external 1TB firewire drive). I tried putting the iPhoto library on the external drive and I wasn't happy with the result. It seemed the library got corrupted so as I create it over again, I don't let iPhoto copy the pictures. I'm not motivated to upgrade to the new iPhoto because I heard it can mess up older libraries and I'm already having problems with my old library. Perhaps after I get everything imported again I'll consider it.

For smaller libraries this works great. I'm surprised Apple hasn't provided a better solution for larger libraries. I like the way faces works and it came in handy for putting together a slide show for our son's grad party.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

You dont know anyone else who uses a Mac? Every Mac owner is a licensed iLife user so since iLife 09 came with her Mac then its perfectly legal to reinstall it from someone elses disk.

As for the Mac App Store. I think its due after the holidays so you may just have to buy the entire iLife suite if you want it as a gift.

Personally, i'm not crazy about iPhoto. For what it does, its always been an extreme resource hog and the newest version has been just as tedious as the previous ones. I use Aperture since I do higher end photo work but for regular consumers I recommend Picasa. It doesnt have all the swooshy overpolished effects that iPhoto has but it's free, simple to use and has less problems.