Mac app that searches journal databases?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hegelsbagels, Apr 27, 2014.

1. hegelsbagels macrumors newbie

A few weeks ago I came across an app in the Mac Store that seemed really awesome, but I didn't purchase it at the time and now I cannot remember what it is called. I think its primary function was a writing app. However, what struck me was that you could search for a phrase in your own writing and it would search academic databases for comparisons (this is crucial for some fields that have tricky terminology!). You could also have it search your PDF library to make comparisons with phrasings in there as well. Does anyone know what this app is called? I've been searching all morning and I cannot find it.

Thanks!

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I use Papers (Mekentosj.com) for searching scientific databases. If you try it out, then get Papers2, as Papers 3 is a horrible and instable mess.

3. hegelsbagels thread starter macrumors newbie

I know about apps that search databases, etc. The difference with this one was that it compares your writing (a sentence, pairing of words, etc.) with similar combinations of words found by searching academic databases or your PDF library. The point, I think, is not only to improve your writing, but to make sure you are using field-specific terminology correctly. Sorry if my OP was unclear about that.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Ah, I totally misunderstood you then. Sorry, don't know anything like that!

5. onekerato macrumors regular

did you mean "readcube"?

more at readcube.com