Mac App to Encrypt and or Password Protect Folders and Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ryan101, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ryan101 macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a good App to hide or password protect folders and files on Mac. I was wondering if there is any that anyone has used or recommends?

This is not anything high level or highly classified. At the same time I don't want to pay for something that's useless. It's just company info that I don't want others getting access to.

So far I have found "Hider 2" which seems interesting.

Thanks.

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Why not use the built-in Encrypted container capability?

I'm considering moving my Truecrypt volume to one.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I use Filevault for encryption on both drives, that and a firmware password, login password and Keycard (to enforce my iPhone has to be close).

Are you concerned about physical access or remote against which you want the files unreadable?

4. Cole Carrera macrumors newbie

apps / utilities / disk utility > file > new > disk image from folder

and select aes-128

(i think)

5. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

I am concerned about physical access.

Several scenario's:

a) stepped away from my desk for 2 minutes and someone decides to copy my files because I forgot to lock it, although I am pretty careful.

b) someone takes my HD out of my machine and copies the data.

c) I used to have an external USB HD attached to my machine before, as I used to do regular time machine backup. I no longer have a device permanently attached, and I also now encrypt backups.

I work in a technical environment, so IT people. Most could do board level repairs, plus data extraction from drives that have been wiped :) hence why I am trying to be a bit more careful than normal. To make matters worse, I am in charge :)