Mac app to schedule broadband speed tests?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jonwed, Jul 6, 2009.

1. jonwed macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of a Mac application or website that allows you to schedule broadband speed tests?

My broadband has been slow for weeks and not having much luck diagnosing it, so my ISP has suggested running speed tests periodically throughout the day, including when I'm at work.

So ideally I want to set up in advance a test to occur at say 11am and 3pm, and then leave it to it and pick up the results in the evening.

Anyone know anything that does this (preferably free or shareware)?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Depending on your net access at work, you might consider just using Screen Sharing or a VNC connection to remotely log in and perform the speed test. The only concern would be how much the active VNC connection could interfere with the speed test (causing you to get less than preferable results even though the connection is just fine). I don't know if it would affect it enough to be a problem.

jW

3. jonwed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, yes, I'd considered that but I'm not sure how much bandwidth I'd take up with it.

I'm trying to test a "up to 8 meg" connection that has been giving me between 5.5 Mb and 96k ... no, that's not a typo, I really do mean 96k down! :(

I've found out there's a PC app that has scheduled testing:

www.broadbandspeedtest.net/index.asp

Maybe I'll use in XP / Bootcamp. I always feel kind of wrong re-booting my mac as Windows box though...