Mac apps and home video

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by c1000, Dec 17, 2013.

1. c1000 macrumors newbie

With a baby now in the house, I am shooting a lot more video on my Panasonic Lumix camera and wondering how & where to save these massive files for future viewing/editing. Currently, this is what I'm experiencing:

- Some video clips (for some reason) are automatically imported along with photos into iPhoto
    - But most video clips are stored on the microSD card, showing as a single AVCHD file
    - I can use iMovie to import the AVCHD file as separate items, however they all get listed under one sub-menu, blending from one to another. Not a convenient format for organizing/labelling/archiving
    - My MBA's measly storage is fast filling up
    - I do have an external drive, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way from iMovie/iPhoto to separate video files and archive externally

My ideal solution would be to i) import all video clips into an iPhoto-like interface and be able to organise, label and rate them easily, ii) have them archived on my external drive. Would be interested to hear what sort of a setup & workflow people in a similar situation are opting for.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can't do it in iPhoto, but when importing into iMovie, you should get the option to choose where the import goes, so you should be able to select your external drive.