Mac Apps Are Showing Executable Icon Briefly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser1232, Mar 23, 2013.

1. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Hi, I have been noticing on my MacBook Pro lately that sometimes one of my applications in the dock will quickly change its icon to the executable icon that change back really fast. Why is it doing this? It is very brief and happens rarely(so not a lot). An application that his happened to was my mail app at one point. I have tried restarting and it still happened again.

Here's a pic of what I mean by executable icon: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/ExecutableBinaryIcon.png

By the way, I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct Thread.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

You realize that doesn't solve everything.

4. B..., Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

The SMC is responsible for a few low down functions on Intel based Macs. Some include thermals, SMS, etc. You tried to do a restart. I'm giving you an option. It's just a thought; you don't have to try it.

If you're going to reject help, why post on MacRumors?

5. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Well I did it just to say I tried it.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It can affect the dock as well as you can read in the link below.

Resetting the System Management Controller - Support - Apple

But, I think this is not related, I thought about permissions but this is also not likely to solve the problem since the App will Execute which means you have permission to run it, it is more likely to be a bug.
    The Executable is in the App Folder, the App has it's icon in the resource Folder and that's the file to read from.
    If you remove the offending App from the dock, quit the Dock in Activity Monitor and then add the App again, will it do the same?
    Hard to find out what it is and I myself never came upon this.

7. macuser1232, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Yeah, so far this has only happened 2 times. I am yet to see it happen a third time. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm still very curious to know what cause this to happen the two times though. Also, I just cleaned the cache of my Dock Icons with Onyx.