Mac as a Television

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tvinay4u, Aug 25, 2008.

1. tvinay4u macrumors newbie

hey everybody..

Im not new to a Mac, Have been using a gorgeous 24" iMac for an year now.. But didnt have to use it as a Television till now. Im in the US right now as an International Student.

I would like to know what I need to buy/use for using my Mac as a TV for programs. I subscribe to Comcast Cable back here and I guess they give it through analog cable.

I checked out the Elgato Hybrid and I think thats the product Im looking for. Am I right..? And what other hardware do I need or If you have any other suggestions please let me know..

I just want to watch some tube and maybe a bit of recording, not too much though..

Thanks guys..

-Vinay

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Elgato Hybrid or EyeTV are awesome. They work well. I believe both will also work with digital cable (if you have a cable box, you will need that).

TEG

3. tvinay4u thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks TEG

Thanks for the info. I guess If I wanna use just the cable then the Hybrid will suffice. I have to buy an antenna or something for the free to air channels is it..?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It should be able to accept Cable, NTSC (Antenna Analog), ATSC (Antenna Digital), Clear QAM (Basic Digital Cable, and basic HDTV), and many also support HDTV OTA.

TEG

5. Trip.Tucker Guest

The EyeTV series are superb! I can't recommend them enough and they carry free to air as well as CAM units as well.