Mac as HTPC questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doox00, May 8, 2009.

1. doox00 macrumors regular

I decided to run mac os x for my htpc. I have Mac os x installed on my 320gb hdd and have another 1.5tb hdd from my vista machine with all my media on it in the computer. Will Mac os x be able to read/write and use that hdd without formatting it?

If that will work how do I share my media directories with my other windows computers on the network?

[​IMG]

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You will need to either use MacFuse + NTFS 3G (Free) or Paragon NTFS (Paid). This will allow read/write but is nowhere near as fast as read/write to native HFS+ (Mac OS Extended). I used to use MacFuse + NTFS 3G all the time. But I decided to give Paragon NTFS a try and found it to be much more reliable.

Since you want to share the volume only Paragon NTFS allows this. I did not even know this benefit until I just decided to connect for the heck of it with a PC I setup with Windows 7 RC1. As I was checking to find out how easy networking is with Windows 7. By the way it is a vast improvement over XP and Vista; XP because it was simpler, Vista because it worked without tweaking while Vista has to be tweaked like crazy to work with Macs or XP. Since NTFS-3G treats NTFS as a network mount rather than a local drive it can not share the volumes.

Neither of these solutions is perfect. If you are dedicating this computer to OS X and not dual booting I would repartition the hard drive to Mac OS Extended (journaled). I would also suggest getting a second 1.5TB HD and set the two up in RAID 1 so that your media is duplicated otherwise one drive failure and everything is lost.

3. ae3265 macrumors member

If you use RAID, any inadvertent deletions or file system corruptions will be duplicated on the mirror. I suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate your drives. It has a scheduler, so you can automate the process. This gives a nice compromise between backup and redundancy. Mirroring only gives you redundancy.

I share my media drives from my Mac machines as I can share AFP to Mac and SMB to Windows. IMO, much easier then goofing around with the Paragon/MacFuse options.