Mac as wireless router

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPlm, Jan 27, 2008.

1. iPlm macrumors regular

Hello!

Firstly I want to say that I have searched google and the forums, and all the how to's and explanations I've read didn't help me and that's why I'm posting a new thread for this.

I want to set up my Core 2 Duo iMac with Leopard as a wireless router so I can use my internet connection on an iPod touch. I'm not sure why internet sharing didn't work. Maybe because of IP addresses or something. What I do is turn Internet Sharing on (share ethernet to AirPort) and create a wirelress network, with a WEP password. The AirPort icon changes to an arrow and network is created, I connect to the network from the touch but there's no internet.

My iMac is connected to the ISP through LAN, no cable or DSL modems. The external IP address is manually typed, not obtained through DHCP.

I think the problem is with the IP addresses, as I'm not sure what addresses should be assigned. The iPod touch receives an IP with DHCP when it connects to the network I made. When I check the iMac's AirPort, it has a yellow circle and a self-assigned IP.

Any recommendations what to do? I really want to make it work so I can update my touch to 1.1.3 and jailbreak it.

2. iPlm thread starter macrumors regular

After hours of trying different things I've managed to get it to work! It looks like AirPort didn't need to be on and have an IP. Also I had LittleSnitch blocking traffic, and the next thing was that it didn't resolve the hostnames, but I entered four addresses as different DNS servers, and now I guess it works! And I can update to 1.1.3 and jailbreak my iPod! :)