Mac Audio? Help a Noobie

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 10G, Nov 26, 2015.

1. 10G macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of ditching my Windows laptop and going for a MBP 15.

I'm happy with everything I've found out about the Mac and am almost throwing my money down, but I can't find any information on the Audio within the MBPs.

My Windows laptop (HP Envy) has a Beats whatever system in it and the sound is quite good. I've been using a MBP 13 for a few weeks to get used to it and the sound out of it is quite tinny, there's no bottom end.

So I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me what the sound is like on the MBP 15s????

I'm in Australia and I'll be buying new if that makes any difference to anything.

Thanks for any help.

2. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

IMO:

1. Sound (and quality etc.) is very subjective on laptops or any source for that matter.
    2. And output will also vary greatly depending on the original file quality etc, so...

# Nothing beats going into an Apple shop and testing for yourself ;)

I could say the speakers on my 2011 MBP 15" perform above my expectations....but that really means nothing to anyone other than myself!

3. CE3 macrumors 65816

I agree with @MushroomMan that you need to listen and test for yourself.

I have a 15' MacBook and I'm coming from an HP Envy with Beats as well. The HP had very decent speakers for a laptop.. but Beats applies a lot of compression to the audio. I work with audio and find my new MacBook's speakers to be a little more accurate and better capable of getting preliminary mix work done until I'm home and hooked up to studio monitors again.

Like the 13' MBP you're using, the 15' models don't have much bottom end either.

4. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

^^ That is good info too, and I would take a clean signal over compression any day of the week - no matter how cool having "Beats" speakers sounds.

5. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

Definitely sound quality is subjective, but Macbooks have an excellent audio quality sound card. My Ultimate Ears UE 6000 and Senheiser HD 800 headphones never sounded any better than they do on Macbook pro. And I've used HP Envy's beats audio and also HTC Sensation XE's beats audio and they are good too, no doubt. But Macbook's audio is equal to them (if not better). The speaker volume is quite loud on 15" model, soundstage is good and you can always use Boom 2 app to change the sound quality, treble, bass or loudness to your liking.
    Another thing that I've noticed is that the Macbooks and the iPhones or iPads have the same sound quality, loudness while listening to them on the headphones. So you can also judge the sound quality of macbook (headphones only) by using an iPhone/iPad.

6. 10G thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your help. I purchased a MBP 15 so I'll be able to find out what the sound is like for myself

7. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

Nice one...

Did you listen at the shop first or just get it anyway?

8. 10G thread starter macrumors newbie

I just bought it, but it was after a lot of looking into things such as build quality, battery life, aesthetics, ease of use, security and so on.

Macs are like Mercedes, whereas Windows laptops are like Fords.