Mac Audio/MIDI says "audio output not supported"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jeremy1, Sep 13, 2010.

1. jeremy1 macrumors newbie

Hello Folks ---

My audio/midi setup says "output not supported". As a result when I plug in my Ipod, or a CD player, into the mic jack (audio input) on my Mac Mini I can't get the audio to play out of the speakers or headphone jack. I can see that the mic is definitely picking up a signal. I have a mac mini (solo intel) 10.4 OSX. Audio output from ITunes or music movies clips in IPhoto works fine. I have checked the cables and connections. I have checked the "sound" location in System Preferences to make sure the "built in output" source is selected. The input volume display shows that the audio input is being registered. I have checked "system profiler" in the Utilities folder in Applications to make sure the "built in output" AKA headphone outlet is recognized.

I have the "Soundflower" App. installed but turned off.

Does anyone have an idea as to why the audio output from the internal sources like ITunes and IPhoto music clips work but the audio output from an external input source like my Ipod or CD player does not? WHY DOES THE AUDIO/MIDI SETUP SAY "OUTPUT NOT SUPPORTED"? Any info appreciated --- Jeremy

2. jeremy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem bypassed (still don't know cause of original problem)

Problem bypassed with free download of "Line-In App." at http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/ Still don't know cause of original problem.