Mac audio outputs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by richtea123, Aug 22, 2013.

1. richtea123 macrumors newbie

richtea123

I've tried searching for an answer to this but couldn't find an answer, so I hope someone will know.

My iMac is currently connected to an integrated amplifier/DAC through the optical output. I'd like to be able to listen to music through the hifi whilst having system sounds etc continue to use the internal speakers. I know that with using the audio output minijack socket that its either internal or external "all or nothing", but would something like a USB DAC allow me to do this, or an alternative software trick?

I know airplay would be a way to do it, but it seems daft to buy an Airport Express just to receive AirPlay when the hifi is right next to the iMac.

2. Bear macrumors G3

A USB connected DAC would be your best solution. This will give you 2 distinctive output choices and you could set your default output to the USB DAC and Sound Effects to the Internal Speakers.

Airplay would work with one issue, there might be a slight delay in sound output which would be bad for some games and could be annoying for voice chats depending on the delay.

3. richtea123 thread starter macrumors newbie

richtea123

Great - thanks for the fast reply. Looks like I'll just *have* to invest in a new USB DAC...

Do you use this set-up? Can you recommend a good USB DAC?

4. Bear macrumors G3

I sort of use this set up. The speakers I am currently using have a built-in USB connection. The USB speakers are set for the default output and system sounds are set to go to the internal speakers. I also have a couple of other applications taht have their own sound preferences set to the internal speakers.

5. richtea123 thread starter macrumors newbie

richtea123