Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stonebrook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
I have absolutely zero experience with this program or similar ones. I'll try to keep this concise though.

My needs: In the latest iteration of Diablo 3, my class' optimal spec requires some fairly intense button mashing that is neither good for my hand nor my computer's three and four buttons. I'm looking for a way to hotkey these buttons together so that they are both triggered at a fast pace without the finger jamming I'm currently enduring.

The program: Is there a free program that will allow for this? Also, as I have no experience with them, or programming such functions (I don't even know if these are the right terms here), is anyone familiar with setting something like this up? I've found lines of codes for say, Autohotkey, but that's not a mac compatible program and I'm not sure if those lines would transfer to a different program.

That's all for now. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions or advice.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
This would probably be a good question for the Blizzard Diablo III forums and the question I'd be asking unless you already know the answer is, does Diablo III support keyboard macros? If it does that would be the ideal way to condense multiple keystrokes down to one.

I would be hesitant to use a third party app to send keystrokes (programs like autohotkey) since Blizzard may monitor for such apps and consider them cheats, particularly if they don't opt to provide keyboard macroing themselves in the game. You don't want to wind up inadvertently getting an account ban for that. I don't know if they monitor for that or not but I wouldn't roll the dice with my own account. I guess you could contact Blizzard support as well with your concern and ask them if using such an app is okay and if there is one they can recommend. Somehow I doubt you'd get much help there but you could try it.

Last edited:

Stonebrook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
These are valid concerns, and I have followed up similar discussions on the forums.

Legality:
There has actually been a lot of discussion about this in the past on the bliz forums, and for the purposes of simply reallocating button presses and "rapid-fire"-esque functions, these are within the player agreement rules (so long as you are in fact in control of your character on the whole).

So, as I understand it, you couldn't program a series of automated commands resulting in a self-sufficient character/bot, but you can assign a key that can be held, that activates a skill once every 500 ms.

(I can't find one of the official threads, but I did find a thread that quoted the response to this: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6083418406 ).

Several players (Monk class) have stated that the new top spec play-style requires something of an unwieldy button-mash play-style. And even one of our class community leaders recently posted that all of the top players are currently using some form of rapid-fire functionality (mouse or controller) or has a program like Autohotkey saving their fingers from physical harm/exhaustion, and their keyboards from unnecessary damage.

Availability of "how to" information:

There are a couple of walls I'm hitting here.

The first is a familiar one for mac users (and why I'm here). While useful programs and coding are being discussed, most of these are directed towards Autohotkey and other non-mac programs.

The second is--I suspect--a hesitancy to actively divulge information that might provide further competition in the game's new greater rift ladder competition.

So, again. I'm mostly just looking for a free substitute program, and I'll try to figure out how to implement it. Though, if anyone has experience or advice specifically with the use of these programs with gaming (again, inexperienced here), that would be an added bonus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.