Mac backup advice needed - I need to wipe my Mac then restore everything.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Garrod, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Garrod macrumors regular

Garrod

My iMac's GPU is failing. I'm booking it into a an Apple retail store soon for repair and I need to back everything up; by backup I mean that, once repaired, I want to restore it exactly as it was (more or less!)

I have a 500gb external HD and I've never used Time Machine before but will it do what I need? Can I use Time Machine to copy my ill Mac so that I can restore it back to just how it was once I get it back? Will it work with my Boot Camp partition also or do I need to use a separate option (in Windows...eugh!) or will Time Machine help me with this?

Any advice will be superb fellow Mac users!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

A slightly quicker & easier method might be SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner for the Mac partition. For the Boot Camp partition I recommend WinClone.

3. Zyniker macrumors 6502

+1 for CarbonCopyCloner.

4. Garrod thread starter macrumors regular

Garrod

To be honest, I'm not that concerned about my Windows partition (I only use it for games)...will Time Machine do the task that I need in regards to (eventually) restoring my Mac back to how it was after an HD format?

EDIT - Sorry, I forgot to say thanks to the suggestions so far!

5. tug macrumors 6502

to do this properly you need to back up to the "time capsule", and when you get your mac back simply use migration assistant it will return your mac to exactly how it was before you unplugged it. hope this helps
    tug :apple:
    p.s.time machine wont do any backups without being connected to some form of ehd it is configured to work seamlessly with macs "time capsule" (bit pricey though)

6. foz405 macrumors member

foz405

I'd recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. It worked for me, after making a bootable copy on the external hard drive. :)