Mac Backup app. with fsevent or byte-level support?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jaw3000, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Jaw3000 macrumors member

I'm continuing my seemingly endless search for a decent Mac backup software after being thoroughly disappointed with Time Machine and its bugs and lack of advanced options ed. I have tried both SuperDuper and CarbonCopyCloner, but have disliked both due to their long file modification search times when starting a backup, making an incremental backup take far longer, and use more system resources, than it probably should. Thus, I began wondering whether any Mac backup software supports Leopard's fsevent framework to dynamically provide all file system changes so it can immediately start the backup and skip the long and taxing search. If not, I wonder why? Fsevent seems like such an ideal service for any backup application to tie into and avoid having to do the search itself. Further, I'm curious as to whether any Mac backup software supports incremental byte-level backups? This feature would really come in handy when backing up large disk images, for example. After doing some reading, it seems as though Rsync may support byte-level backup, but I haven't found a decent, modern GUI containing the option or a Mac-specific tutorial that covers it. However, it also seems Rsync requires a remote server, so backup to another drive or an Airdisk wouldn't work.

So, to satisfy my curiosity, are any of the Mac experts here aware of a Mac backup solution that supports fsevent or byte-level backups (either or both)?

2. onetime44 Guest

rdiff-backup?

I think rdiff-backup may do what you want, in terms of byte-level backup. I've been using it successfully for a while, and I know there's some GUIs around, though I've been using it via the command line. It definitely works with, say, a USB hard disk, but so does rsync. What rdiff-backup adds is multiple incremental backups.

Now if it were updated to take advantage of fsevent...