Mac based equivalent for MS Student/Encarta 2008?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BOSS10L, Mar 4, 2008.

1. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I did multiple searches and nothing came up, so I figured I'd give this a shot. I'm taking some math classes at college that I haven't been around since most of my classmates were in diapers (if even born yet :eek:). I'm a very visual learner and although I've perused many sites, my text and even purchased a few outside texts, I'm still struggling with the minutia. I've done some searching and found a few "step-by-step" applications that walk you through the solving of problems, but they are either not smart enough (basic pre-algebra), or they're just too expensive (pointed towards the true scientific crowd).

I've looked around and found MS Student/Encarta 2008. It seems like it might do the trick, and it's only $30, so if it doesn't, I'm not out a whole lot of money. I do still have one PC left in the house, but I work on my MB because I can take it with me, and to be frank, I just don't want to give MS any more of my money.

Is there a Mac based equivalent? I hope so, it would really make this much easier. :apple:

2. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Why not just use something like Wikipedia? I haven't used Encarta in ages (maybe Win95?) but from what I remember it was basically just an encyclopedia right?

4. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't want the encyclopedia portion, I want the "explaining calculator" function:

5. nik00 macrumors newbie

I want to download Encarta kids 2009 and also microsoft student Encarta premium 2009.i surfed the net,nothing came up! Can anyone help me with this?

6. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

not sure what are you talking about, but have you tried wolfram|alpha?
    it has a lot of interesting math tools (even a step-by-step equation solver)