Mac beeped after Ram upgrade..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicknicknickh, Jun 17, 2012.

1. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

It beeped a few times and than just a black screen, I then pressed the power button again and it booted up normally. I checked and it does infact recognize the ram I put in and looks good on that front. Is it possible that I maybe updated a few things on my computer before I powered this off (which I hardely ever do) and it is just telling me that?

I am running Lion on a Early 2011 Base 15'' Model

Thanks Guys!

----------

PNY ram by the way

----------

Anyone?

2. the-wanderer macrumors member

3. nicknicknickh thread starter macrumors regular

-_- I'm wondering if its normal.. Thanks for the sarcasm though :cool:

So is it normal?

4. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

??????

Have you tried reseating your RAM sticks and if it continues beeping try swapping them out to find your issue.

5. the-wanderer macrumors member

dude, look up the codes. you probably didn't seat the ram into the slots properly.

all else fails, put one stick in slot 0, boot. if all ok, shutdown and install into slot 1.

worst case you have wrong type of ram for machine

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's either bad or mis-seated RAM. Make sure it's cleanly flush in there, then test on stick in there at a time. It happens.

7. nicknicknickh thread starter macrumors regular

If I turned off and turned on without moving/adjusting the ram and I got no beeps does that mean it was just a false alarm or update and whatnot?

8. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Depends, was it one solid "boooooooooop" sound not unlike the sound you see with the color pattern on an off-air tv station sometimes? That would happen if you held down the power button too long by accident and started the machine in firmware update mode.

9. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

It may still not be seated firmly. It may repeat the warning beeps again at a later stage. If it were my MBP, I would definitely check that the sticks are firmly in place. It's all up to you though.