Mac Beginner - Networks & File Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 18jedi, Aug 14, 2008.

1. 18jedi macrumors newbie

Can somebody point me to an article for mac networks and file sharing. I have no idea how networks and file sharing work with Macintosh. AirPort is simple enough, and I understand all the settings, I just don't know how to browse a network that I'm connected to, or how mac recognizes these devices and other computers.

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Bonjour connects most devices to the Network automatically. Under preferences is a sharing tab. Also in Finder under shared, you should see all of the computers attached to your network. There are some good articles at macworld.com as well.

My best advice to you, I switched to Mac recently as well, is to go and buy Mac OSX Leopard for Dummies. It was a great book and helped me a lot. Truthfully, I still refer to it often. Hope this helps! :)

3. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

If you have a disk connected to an airport extreme your mac will automatically
    pick it up and mount it for you. If you are using it with a windows machine you have to install the disk supplied with your airport extreme, the disk will install software that lets you get access the same way in my computer as all the other hard drives. (first you have to go to your ae setting to configure a user account to access the external hdd or you can configure that everybody has open access) It really makes itself clear when you install it.

It is incredibly simple, but what i just told, wasn't really what you asked