Mac behaving badly

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mattandsam, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Mattandsam macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have a MacBook Pro, a few years old now and a thunderbolt monitor, all of a sudden the monitor went black and the MBP became unresponsive causing me to hold the power button down to turn it off... I have unplugged everything, tried a SMC reset etc and this is how it behaves now...

1. Tap the on button
    2. Power light comes on
    3. Chimes
    4. Apple logo appears
    5. Power light turns off
    6. Spinning icon appears for a while
    7. Logo and icon disappear leaving a white/grey blank screen.

If I boot in Safe mode the screen eventually turns blue and stays that way.

Funny thing is, if I close the lid the power light turns on along with the back lit apple logo on the lid - doing the opposite to how it should behave.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. And macrumors 6502

And

You probably want to try your query in the 'macbook pro' sub-forum. This forum is for computers with PowerPC processors, I'm guessing your is intel?

Mod - can we relocate please?

3. AmestrisXServe, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

This may be a typical, ZAP the PRAM problem.

Hold Open-Apple + Option + P + R while starting, and wait for the system to chime twice.

It may also be indicative of HDD failure (or damage). If the problem persists after a PRAM Zap, then try starting from an install disc, or another, external, bootable volume. If you can start this way, use Disk Utility to check your main HDD.

If you cannot start from an install disc, and the problem persists after a PRAM Zap, ot may be a RAM problem, or something more serious. You would be best asking those who work on Macbook systems in any event.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Also try resetting the SMC. See the instructions here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

You did post in a PPC section so you may be better off if you post in the Intel MBP section!

5. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

You should probably read the OP: He did reset the SMC.

I haven't any clue if he followed up on my diagnostics flowchart, and I doubt we will see any more on this, on the PPC boards. Likely, this is a dead topic.