Mac benchmarking tools

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iClive, Aug 6, 2012.

1. iClive macrumors regular

Which benchmarking tools do you use?

I want to be able to compare a Mac Mini's performance before and after I ugrade the RAM and change the hard drive for SSD. Would also be interesting to see how it compares with the MBA.

My google search revealed a few which looked OK (iBench and XBench), but once downloaded one of them froze half way through the tests and the other would not work in 64 bit mode without purchasing.

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I don't know of any good 3rd party HDD diagnostic tools, but you should use something like MemTest to test your new memory modules (one at a time, ideally).

3. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Use Geekbench to check the overall system performance (CPU and memory) and compare it to other machines. Use blackmagic disk speed test to check your ssd read and write speed.

Both can be found on the app store

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Geekbench is the most widely used benchmarking tool for mac. Their website allows you to compare your results with other users with similar configurations. The Geekbench test includes some disk tests like random read/write while performing the test operation, but doesn't have the ability to test the hard drive alone. Like the previous poster said, if you want to test just the drive, use blackmagic disk.

5. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

I'm not sure that a benchmark will help you measure the effect of a RAM upgrade.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

True. My Geekbench score didn't increase noticeably after I doubled the RAM in my hackintosh.

7. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

It's always good to test for bad sectors after a memory upgrade just in case the module(s) is(are) faulty.

8. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Yes, of course, but that isn't a benchmark.

9. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

You're right. I must have misread your post.