Mac benchmarking tools

iClive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
UK
Which benchmarking tools do you use?

I want to be able to compare a Mac Mini's performance before and after I ugrade the RAM and change the hard drive for SSD. Would also be interesting to see how it compares with the MBA.

My google search revealed a few which looked OK (iBench and XBench), but once downloaded one of them froze half way through the tests and the other would not work in 64 bit mode without purchasing.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I don't know of any good 3rd party HDD diagnostic tools, but you should use something like MemTest to test your new memory modules (one at a time, ideally).

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Use Geekbench to check the overall system performance (CPU and memory) and compare it to other machines. Use blackmagic disk speed test to check your ssd read and write speed.

Both can be found on the app store

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Geekbench is the most widely used benchmarking tool for mac. Their website allows you to compare your results with other users with similar configurations. The Geekbench test includes some disk tests like random read/write while performing the test operation, but doesn't have the ability to test the hard drive alone. Like the previous poster said, if you want to test just the drive, use blackmagic disk.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I'm not sure that a benchmark will help you measure the effect of a RAM upgrade.