Mac bit slower after Time Machine restore. Normal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gazudara, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Gazudara, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

Gazudara macrumors newbie

Hello!

Tried upgrading OS from ElCapitan to Sierra, but Sierra did not want to work so I used Time Machine restore to revert back. I didn't erase hard drive, just hooked external hard drive to Mac and chose to retore using Time Machine backup.
    But now I notice that Mac is bit slower when activating apps. When starting up, it takes maybe 30 - 60 seconds longer to get Libreoffice and Firefox running. Is that normal?

It doesn't really bother me by itself, but I got tiny worry that what if I weakened system, security or something like that?

2. Audit13 macrumors 68000

Audit13

Friend of mine also had problems going back to el cap from Sierra via time machine on his 2009 15".

He restored again but partitioned and erased the drive before restoring and things were fine after the restore.

3. Gazudara, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

Gazudara thread starter macrumors newbie

Out of curisoity, was it something serious? Or just system bit slower?

I got few questions regarding this solution:

1) If I make Time Machine back-up from current system and then restore system, could the tiny lagging effect carry over?
    2) When erasing hard drive, do I have first install OS or can I just hook Time Machine and restore right away?
    What I mean is, I don't have any El Capitan OS install option. Should I erase hard drive, I can't install El Capitan back as Mac only offers Sierra that I do not want.

4. Audit13 macrumors 68000

Audit13

It wasn't serious, it's just that his daughter received an update notice that s said she was entitled to the sierra upgrade from the app store. She downloaded the update, tried to install, but the installer said her Macbook wasn't compatible. I'm not sure why the app store keeps telling her she can upgrade for free.

After the upgrade failed, the machine took longer to boot, iTunes would recognise her iPhone, and safari seemed slow.