Mac(Black)Book & iSight ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jim Campbell, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Sorry, folks - I seem to be doing nothing but posting fatuous n00b questions at the moment. It's your fault for offering such a wealth of helpful, knowledgable responses! Back in the day, you just had to put up with a fault and wait for someone to write an article about it in MacFormat ...

Anyhoo ... a search here and on Google hasn't offered anything particularly helpful.

My MacBook is just bringing up a green screen for the iSight camera when I boot up PhotoBooth. The iSightLight is green, but there's no picture.

The best advice on teh interweb is to update everything and reboot ... which I'm happy to do, but I'd like to know if there's a known cause, or if it's a fault I should be reporting to Apple ... or what?!?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers!

Jim

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No need to apologise mate. Try updating everything because if it works then Apple must already know about it since they fixed it. However, in the meantime do you have any other apps or widgets that may be using the iSight?

3. Jim Campbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Well, that's the peculiar thing - it has worked. There are a couple of pictures sitting at the bottom of the Photobooth window that I took using it, but last night I started up the app and ... nothing.

The only thing I've done which might have made any demands on the camera is when I booted iChat. However, I decided that I couldn't be @rsed setting up an account and cancelled the registration process. I'm not aware of anything else, running or otherwise, that might have laid claim to the camera ...

Thanks for the advice thus far, BTW!

Cheers

Jim

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. Have you tried the update & reboot thing yet?

5. snood macrumors newbie

My girlfriend's macbook started doing this a few days into her ownership of it. I got it to stop after a reboot, but soon after the same symptoms would return.
    She brought it into the apple store for repair and after a few days they actually gave her another brand new one.

Not sure if your problem is as severe, but if it doesn't go away I would bring it in.

6. DENZIE macrumors member

DENZIE

iSight and kernel panic

Hey guys, sorry to kinda hijack...

I think there is something wrong with my isight too. Generally it opens up fine and i can chat with it etc but since i got my brand new blackbook last week I have had two kernel panics while using it!! There were no other apps that appeared both times for me to assume they caused the problem. The first time was in photobooth, the second in a video call in skype.

I have run apple hardware test and rember aswell but they don't bring up any problems. It has happened randomly and without warning so I'm pretty sure its the isight.

What do you think?

7. Jim Campbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

A bit more Googling suggests that this might be a problem with the PMU (Power Management Unit), as advised by Apple themselves here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93240

Apple describe how to reset the PMU here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

Note, however, that they make several suggestions to try first - my iSight came back after a forced restart (rather than a regular one) and now seems to be behaving itself, so I didn't actually have to reset the PMU.

Cheers!

Jim

8. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

9. MacGnG macrumors member

MacGnG

my isight hasnt worked either, only had the blackbook for less than a month.
    just called applecare and im gonna take it to applestore and get them to look at it.

EDIT: tried everything listed, zap pram, reset pmu, etc..