Mac Blu Ray player, has anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBug2, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jjq224 macrumors newbie

jjq224

Interesting... I don't know how that will work since the drives in the Mac are not Blu-ray compatible. Plus, while reading through the FAQ, for some reason you HAVE to be connected to the internet to watch the movies. I don't get that - I'm willing to bet that it is streaming video like Netflix or something.

(From the FAQ) - "Can I use the Mac Blu-ray Player offline? - Sorry. Because of technical reasons, the Mac Blu-ray Player must be used while connected to the Internet."

They do offer a trial version that watermarks the image. It might be worth downloading just to see what it's all about.

2. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

I have just tried it. It opened Avatar blu ray, but the playback had issues. I tried a .mkv, it opened it quite fine. Now I'm gonna remove protection from Avatar and try an unprotected blu ray image to see if encryption is an issue.

P.S. The drives were never an issue. I have a blu ray rom in my Mac Pro for 2 years.

3. jjq224 macrumors newbie

jjq224

Was that stock? I just bought a MBP in April and was under the impression that it only has a standard dual-layer DVD player.

Let me know how the "unencrypted" movie plays.

4. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

No it's not stock of course, but you can add it to Mac Pro, or buy an external one for MBP or iMac. The software is the issue, not the hardware.

About movie playback, this app is buggy as hell. It plays some doesn't play others, maybe after a few updates I'll try again.

5. jjq224 macrumors newbie

jjq224

Got ya. Yeah, I was going to pick up an external burner - found one a great price - and then I read that Blu-ray isn't supported by Apple. :(

I'll keep an eye out on this software. Since DVDs are soon to be going the way of 8-tracks, I hope Apple decides to support Blu-ray sometime soon. :confused:

Thanks for the info!

6. Soliber macrumors regular

Blu-ray as a discformat is supported. OS X just can't decrypt commercial blu-ray movies. But I read a topic here some time ago about some kind of blu-ray ripper for OS X which everyone was raving about...

7. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

OS X can't, but this applications claims it can. Windows can't decode them either but there are lots of commercial blu ray players on Win. So I suppose this is same kind of deal. But the app is buggy and doesn't work really.

8. jjq224 macrumors newbie

jjq224

9. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Do I need separate licenses, if I want to use it on both mac & windows?
    Haven't got reply to my e-mail to them...

10. webraider macrumors member

It works

I tried the First version and it barely worked at all. Almost 5 days later there is a new version and it works with just a few hiccups on some of my discs. It stutters a little bit on the the twilight discs which MakeMKV CHOKES on. It plays the Tron BluRay Without Issue. It seems a far better choice than MakeMKV because MakeMKV can only play less than half of the BluRays I put in until it hangs. It's either a MakeMKV thing or a VLC thing, but MakeMKV can't convert them either.

Try the new version if you didn't try the old version.

11. JTToft macrumors 68040

I tried it about a week ago. It's a total joke. It could only play half the Blu-Ray Discs I tried. And the ones it did play played without menus of any kind (meaning without access to bonus features or BD Live), and audio and subtitle languages would just display as "Audio 1", "Audio 2", "Subtitle 1", "Subtitle 2" and so on. Also, playback stuttered frequently (several times per minute).

It is extremely poor.
    I am going to stick with Windows 7 in Bootcamp and CyberLink PowerDVD 9 BD. That works flawlessly.

I will try version 1.1 in the next couple of days...

12. JLB-UK macrumors regular

Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Has anyone been using this software for some time and got any more information on it?

13. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

I have not tried the program, but even on sale it costs $50 for just the software (and you'll need a drive too). You could get a hardware Blu-Ray player for $60 or less.