Mac Book and external iomega hard drive...problem with saving music...help needed.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Polly Pod, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Polly Pod macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I have a query that i need to try and sort out.

I have a White Macbook which is great and working just fine but i store all my music on my external 'iomega' hard drive.
    I do this as i move my Macbook about and i don't want to damage the hard drive and loose my music, i know i maybe slightly over careful here but i have a lifetimes worth of music and i want to protect it.
    The problem comes when i try and get the music back from the Mac to my Ipod or Iphone as it tells me it can't locate 'some' of my tracks but i plug in the Hard drive and it still say the same.
    I thought that all my music was stored on my iomega and then when i wanted to update my ipod and iphone i just plug it in but now it's telling me that some tracks can't be located.

What i would like to do is to have a copy of ALL my music on my iomega and then have the music on my Macbook ASWELL but i can't seem to do this as i've tried copying the files and nothing seems to make a difference apart from in the finder i get a handful of the artists names and tracks of my whole music collection.

So i'm throwing it out to you guys who know way more about this than me.
    If someone could help me to
    Transfer ALL my files to the Macbook
    AND have a complete copy of it on my iomega
    I have managed to do this with my Iphoto but for some reason i can't do this with my music.

I would be very grateful for any help

Cheers for reading :)

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Be sure to specify in the system preferences where you want the main library to be:
    - iTunes>Preferences>Advanced
    - note or change the folder location

Consolidate the library and then make a backup of the library by:
    - copying the itunes folder to another drive
    - exporting the library to another drive/location

Attached Files:

3. Polly Pod thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers i'll give that a go and see what happens.

Thought it would be something simple like that, that i was just missing out.:eek: