Mac book + External Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eastmatt, Jul 20, 2009.

1. eastmatt macrumors newbie

eastmatt

Hello this is my first post here so bear with me...

I also looked about for this but couldn't find anything.

Im currently using a 13" mac book (Which i love) But the monitor is sooo small for using programs like logic and reason ect at the same time. I need to use an external monitor for this. I know you can get an adapter for this but do you have to duel screen your laptop with the screen. OR (This is my question) Can you keep your macbook closed maybe on a shelf somewhere and still use your macbook with a keyboard/mouse and the external monitor? as i know that if you close your macbook it puts everything "to sleep". Im not to good at explaining things i apologise.

If anyone knows/understands your help would be very appreciated.

:apple: Eastmatt

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes you can keep your MB's lid closed and have the external monitor be your primary and only monitor.
    It's called "clamshell mode" and can be use when a USB device is connected to the MB, like a mouse or a keyboard.

3. eastmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

eastmatt

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Additionally, you can use clamshell mode if you use a remote (Apple's remote works for this) to control the MB. Works great as a media server. Useful for those times when you're done working with logic and reason and want some mindless entertainment. ;)

ft