Mac Book Fresh Install?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Deadly Apples, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Deadly Apples, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

Deadly Apples macrumors newbie

Hiya guys . Im new to macs but recently bought a Mac Book and turns out it was an old school or college laptop and has been set up to be used by a school and there fore you cant just log in without a school password...

Is there any way of getting in and can i just do a fresh install of the OS and it will all work?

Majorly peeved!

Cheers dudes!

Deadly Apples! Rawrrr!

I gotta bad feeling about this! D:

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Install from the disc that should have came with the computer. Insert disc, reboot, and hold the C key while booting up.

3. Deadly Apples thread starter macrumors newbie

I borrowed a mates OSX CD and when I try running it , it just skipps and goes to the log in screen again...

I looked on some other forums and they think its locked? or firmware something or other? What can I do :(

All this time tho I am admiring the high quality screen. Really high resolution or somthing :O

4. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

5. Deadly Apples thread starter macrumors newbie

yes. Ive held the C key and it just thinked then moves on. I also tried the holding the option key to chose to run the CD and it just does the same.. :(

----------

Oh btw. The CD i am using is for an old macbook pro oSX tiger or something. Its 2 CD's..

Does having a different osx to the one on my Macbook Pro mean anything? :)

6. aidan257 macrumors newbie

aidan257

Don't take this as gospel as i could be totally wrong as i am also new to Macs, but i am sure Tiger was PPC only so unless the macbook pro your using has a PPC cpu i think you wouldn't be able to use that to do a clean install.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If the disks you have are grey disks that came with another machine, they are machine-specific and will not work. Do yourself a favor and just buy the $30 Snow Leopard disk or the $69 Lion USB key (depends on your budget and your choice of OS) and use that.

Tiger ran on both PPC and Intel machines, but the retail disks were never updated to include the Intel version. That's not what the OP has anyways, since he mentioned it was two disks, which means it was a set that came with a machine, but probably not the one he's trying to use them on.

jW

8. Deadly Apples thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok Ive bought Lion on a USB. Delivery 7th September. Lets see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll post again if it works or dosent.

Crosses fingers :)

9. RayK macrumors 6502

Sounds like it has an efi password. You'll need to pull out one stick of ram and hold down command + option + p + r on startup until you hear the boot chime 3 times. That will clear the bios password and allow you to boot from cd. Which is holding down c when the computer boots. Let me know if you have issues!

----------

Of course only pull out the ram when the computer is power off and after you hear the chime 3 times hold down the power button to turn off the machine again and reinsert the memory. Don't forget that!