Mac Book (HD?) makes clicking noises on wake up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apseubert, Oct 4, 2014.

1. apseubert macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a late 2008 aluminum body mac book pro (2.4 intel core i5, 4GB DDR3, running Mavericks 10.9.3). Recently upon starting up or waking my laptop from sleep the Hard drive (I presume) is making a clicking and whirring noise for about 30 seconds, during which I get the spinning wheel of death, and the computer will not perform any functions. After the 30 seconds of clicking it resumes normal operation and everything works fine. I have a feeling that it could be the sudden movement sensor malfunctioning, or it could simply be the hard drive failing (I have everything important backed up). I was just wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience with this. I should be able to replace the HD on my own if push comes to shove, given that it is not a solid body (the back plate has screws that can be removed for access from the bottom), any thoughts on what you think might be going on? Thanks in advance.

-Adam

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

That's pretty much a textbook description of a drive beginning to fail. I'd start looking for a replacement drive.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Agree with above, the noise indicates impending drive failure, the clicks etc are normally it retrying again and again....

4. matty1551 macrumors 6502