Mac book issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dragonskin, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Dragonskin macrumors newbie

I have a New MAC book 2.16 about 4 months old which I purchased in a military exchange and now sits collecting dust here in Africa. The list of problems I have had: safari closes unexpectedly, freezes often resulting me using the power button to restart, sometimes after it has been restarted the folder with ? shows up. Then I will have an application open and it will not respond to quitting, also when I try to open an application it bounces in the dock requesting force quit. I run Leopard Cache cleaner and Onyx which clears the problems up for sometime. I gave Apple support a call but the connection is not the greatest even with an AT&T calling card. I am open to suggestion and welcome any advice. Thanks DS.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's no good! Use Disk Utility to verify the drive and check the Console crash logs to see if anything has been reported. How much free space do you have on the drive? Have you installed any third party software or hardware?

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yes, what MadJew said. It could be an HD issue. The question mark you see is what appears when the system can't recognize the HD (usually because it's dead).

You might also try checking your ram - I use Rember.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to zap your pram (check out the 'Mac Basics and Support' forum sticky for more info.)

Keep us updated!

YT

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

The blinking "?" when you boot sounds like a disk issue, or a file corruption issue. I would try to do a clean install of Leopard if possible, and see if that clears it up. Maybe reformat the drive at the same time.

If you have access to an external USB drive, you can copy your data to the external drive, and then reinstall, and copy your data back.

It's a pain, but it sounds like you have some type of disk or data issue...

5. Dragonskin thread starter macrumors newbie

MJ- it is a the normal 111g but with 79g left, I do use an external HD for music and of course yes P**N. I was planning on replacing that with WD 320g or something along the lines of that. As per the SW and HW no just what is offered off the apple websites.

yojitani- thanks for the link and I plan to see what happens, also was planning to upgrade RAM since I am an internet whore and I am constantly on the net with many open apps as I work through the day.

aross99- i think I will have to re-install Leopard again and pain indeed, did that plenty of times off a sony vaio. That is why I switched to MAC.

Gentlemen I appreciate the words of advice, not that savvy on MAC's yet but plan to get there one day since I love this OS and computer line, plus I invest in this company.
    Nice weekend and will keep updated posts when possible.
    DS

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder, click on your internal drive and then click Verify Disk. If it needs any fixes, then follow these instructions.