Mac Book (new) or (used) Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mantik, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Mantik macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I need a laptop for school and to do a bit of Photoshop and HTML but i don't no wich Macbook should i choose. Here is why im confuse :

I saw this add of a Mac Book Pro 2.53 (320g 7500rpm-4gig RAM) with apple care for 2500$ new and sealed but im not sure if its what i needed.

On the other hand i tough of buying a bran new MacBook 2.4 (1749 cnd$) and upgrade the RAM to 4 gig wich will cost me 150$ + the apple care.

My question is wich one is better and would you trusted the buy a NEW used Mac Book Pro. The guy said that he has all the receipt and he's selling it because he want to buy a MacPro. Apple give im a new labtop because is older one has to many repair to do.

Awaiting for your comment/suggestion on what you would do.

Tks

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You don't need a MBP to work with HTML.

How much Photoshopping do you do? A lot and professionally, or just a little as a hobby? Unless you're doing some serious editing, the MacBook should be able to handle everything everything you throw at from Photoshop.

Buying a 'new' computer from a stranger always has risks, but many people do it, and quite successfully. Personally, I think the MB is better in your case, as there's less risk, it better matches your needs, and cheaper overall.

3. Mantik thread starter macrumors newbie

Not that much photoshoping. Just for fun and like i said it will be more for school. Like you mention i don't think it will be cheaper to buy the MB because with the upgrad RAM (120$) + the apple care (299$) + tx it will come around 2500$ so Im just wondering if i should take the MBP because it will be approx the same price as a bran new MB.

4. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Buying used with Applecare is no problem. At least I wouldn´t hesitate doing so.
    I have th MBP you re looking at, but if I were you and had to bring it to school every day I would get a MB.
    It´s more portable and it´s more than capable of doing what you want.

5. mbleopard macrumors regular

Get the macbook, I have the 2.4GHz and it runs everything I need perfectly. Plus its smaller and lighter which you'll appreciate when your lugging it around school. I had a HP 15" laptop before this macbook and it gets heavy when your carrying that and school books around campus all day

6. impakt1 macrumors member

The weight between the macbook and the macbook pro is barely noticeable. Look at the incase book bag. It made carrier my mbp alot easier.

7. Mantik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the comment. But im wondering if the screen is to small 13.4in??
    Your right that they don't as a big weight difference, the MBP is 1lbs heavier than the MB.