Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simon lea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Anyone know if non mac magnetic power cables are ok to use on a 3 year old mac book? Thanks in advance.
Simon

Nov 28, 2010
located
Where would you get what exact non-magentic power cable? The magnets are responsible for the power cable staying in contact with the MacBook.

simon lea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
I do mean magnetic, but non mac, any one know if the non mac ones are ok to use?
Thanks
Simon

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Anyone know if non mac magnetic power cables are ok to use on a 3 year old mac book? Thanks in advance.
Simon
I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or power adapter, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Apple has not licensed its MagSafe technology to any 3rd parties, and there is no assurance that knockoff adapters have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

Nov 28, 2010
located
I do mean magnetic, but non mac, any one know if the non mac ones are ok to use?
Thanks
Simon

You mean MagSafe adapters (the power adapter name) not made by Apple (the company name)? If so, then those companies are infringing a patent, since the MagSafe adapter is patented by Apple and Apple does not license that patent as far as I know.

Btw, where did you find a MagSafe power adapter not made by Apple anyway?

Eliz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
faulty magsafe???

Hi everyone, i leave my adapter plugged in most of the time i use my mac. recently, i noticed that the charging LED light takes time to come on (or it goes off and comes back in about 5 secs). This has only recently started. My mac is almost 2 years old now. What could be causing this problem and should i be worried about this? i am assuming this is happening because i keep my mac plugged in most of the time and hope this is not a logic board problem.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi everyone, i leave my adapter plugged in most of the time i use my mac. recently, i noticed that the charging LED light takes time to come on (or it goes off and comes back in about 5 secs). This has only recently started. My mac is almost 2 years old now. What could be causing this problem and should i be worried about this? i am assuming this is happening because i keep my mac plugged in most of the time and hope this is not a logic board problem.
First, your battery will last longer if you don't run with it plugged in all the time. Your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. It's not unusual for the light to take a few seconds to come on when plugged in or to go off when unplugged. See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ that I posted earlier.

Eliz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
First, your battery will last longer if you don't run with it plugged in all the time. Your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. It's not unusual for the light to take a few seconds to come on when plugged in or to go off when unplugged. See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ that I posted earlier.

thanx! i will now start using my laptop as a laptop and not a PC... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.