Mac Book pro 13" Graphic card kaput

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a4est42, Feb 11, 2014.

1. a4est42 macrumors member

I realize that there is no replacing the graphics card without replacing the whole mother board?? How much would that be.

Is there anything I should consider before biting the bullet and ordering a new Mac Book Pro?

anything salvageable or worth considering.

Thanks in adavance

2. simsaladimbamba

What MBP model do you have? A 2009 model, a 2010, a 2011, a 2012 or even 2013 model?

Have you looked at iFixIt yet?

And yes, since the graphics card is integrated and soldered to the logic board, a new logic board is required.

And what makes you think, it is the graphics card?

3. Laco macrumors 6502

If it is old get a new one, if it is within warranty try to fix it. A new motherboard may not be worth it but I would ask someone at the Apple store how much that would cost.

4. a4est42 thread starter macrumors member

Well i have been running Aperture for 4+ years and suddenly get a ERROR message that the Graphics card is insufficient to open Aperture then tried opening just photos on the desk top. Blank . I tried rebooting in safe mode nada. Takes to support....but it is a mid 2009 so out of extended warranty.

I haven't tried iFixIt... should I?

5. simsaladimbamba

iFixIt is a site with guides on how to replace certain parts in a Mac (and other electronica), including the logic board in a 2009 MBP. It also shows you the exact parts you need for further searching, as a logic board costs around 400 USD. Maybe you can find one cheaper.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Two things that are worth trying:

Bring it to an Apple store, let them run their diagnosis etc, and see what they say. I had a similar problem a few years ago (logic board failure out of warranty) and was offered a flat rate repair for $300 or so. That is worth it usually since you can use the machine for a few more years, or at least keep it as a back up machine.
    I'm not sure under what conditions they offer the flat rate repair.

You might be able to sell it for parts. I guess $100 should be possible for a working screen and a case in good condition. Not sure.

Investing $400+ in a logic board is too much in my opinion... you still have to make the repair yourself, there is no guarantee that it will fix the problem, and no warranty on the repair.

7. highmarcs macrumors newbie

Yeah. I spent almost 3k on my brand new 2008/09 MBP and a few years ago I started getting complete system freezes where the graphics would get all funny, and it's only getting worse. I've learned that this is a known flaw related to a problem with the Nvidia chipset used. There is supposedly a driver fix for it, but I can't find it.

This was my first Apple computer, and after this experience, most likely my last. If the chips are part of the motherboard, they should have recalled ALL of these machines when they first realized that the chips THEY put on them were defective.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It was covered by a 3 year extended warranty program. All you had to do was take it into an Apple store and they would have fixed it for you. Heck, have you tried? They still might.