Mac Book Pro 13-inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zanzibar321, Jun 10, 2009.

1. zanzibar321 macrumors newbie

I'm going off to college in the fall to study political science. I'm getting a laptop, and since WWDC, I've been considering a Mac Book Pro 13-inch. I was thinking about getting the basic model and merely upgrading the ram to 4gb, but I'm not a computer genius, and the folks here at macrumors seem quite knowledgeable about such things. I would like this computer to not be outdated quickly, as I probably don't want to buy another one until near the end of college. Should I even upgrade the RAM? Would this upgrade be useless without a faster processor? I don't really want to spend over 1300, but I get a 100 discount for my school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Just buy the base configuration for the 13" MBP and buy AppleCare. Also make use of the iPod promo and order an iPod Touch. Then sell the iPod and your AppleCare is free :D 2GB of RAM is going to be PLENTY for now, and if your not satisfied the prices for DDR3 will only be dropping in the future.

But it is the perfect computer for a student. I have one and its my gem. *knock on wood*

3. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

The base config should be fine, but if you do choose to upgrade the RAM later, it is a truly easy process. No need to be a "computer genius". For your most likely uses based on what you said, though, you probably won't even see a need to upgrade it.

4. zanzibar321 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Sweet another Poly Sci major. Go with the base 13" MacBook Pro. It's amazing. :D

6. Lipstick macrumors member

sn00pie is right on. Go for the base model, you can always add more RAM as needed. Sell your iPod back to make up for the laptop. Either way its free after rebate! :eek: