Mac book pro 13inch - Partioning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbookvirgin, May 27, 2011.

1. macbookvirgin macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I was reading an article on how to partition my new mac book pro. Some people have commented that having a single drive is sufficient and some say its advisable to have two. A bit confused as in what to do.

The other question here is I use one drive for all my downloads and apps and the other for movies n songs. Is that how partitions work ? I know I could use it the way I want it but wanted to understand whats the best way to use it ?

What happens if i partition my drive into 100 gb in one and 200 gb on the other and I run out of space on one of them, is it easy to change them ?

2. 4phun macrumors member

Man up and throw a bigger HD in there for a $100. Save the little 320GB so you can drop it in an external USB HD dock if you need to boot from an external USB drive in an emergency.

Anyway I would sooner or later partition it with BootCamp so I could add Win 7 Home Premium for about $40. I would make the boot camp partition at least 40GB so a to have enough room to add some windows programs as needed. You can store most of the data you need in windows on a thumb drive or two.

Also You can store lots of additional data on external drives or even on SD chips in that little slot on the left side of the MBP.

3. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

+1

Partitioning for the same OS is kind of pointless. Bigger HD and put windows on it.