Mac Book Pro 15" Mini Display to DVI Adapter to screen not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by idoran, Jan 11, 2011.

1. idoran macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have an 2010 Mac Book Pro 15" - I've bought MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter but when I try to connect it to my screen it does not work.
    When I connect the cable to the computer the MacBook internal display do a flicker (turn on and right back on) so it defiantly "fell" something but the external screen does not show anything.

Also in the System Profiler in Graphics/Display both Intel and NVidia video cards show
    Display Connector:

Is it possible that the adapter is simply defected or there is other issues?

Thank you,
    Ido.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I don't know your monitor, but have you set the input to DVI as well?

3. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem last week with the minidisplayport DVI adapter and a Viewsonic 22" monitor. I exchanged the DVI adapter for a VGA one, then my 15" MBP detected the Viewsonic monitor by model number and even installed the proper color profile. My monitor produces identical quality images with the DVI and VGA inputs.

The flicker you see is the MBP autoswitching to the discrete nVidia GPU when the adapter is connected.

There seems to be a problem with the MBP communicating with some monitors when the DVI adapter is used. Don't try using a DVI to VGA dongle on the DVI adapter to connect via VGA. The adapter is DVI-D only, and the dongle will require DVI-I. DVI-I has 4 extra pins to carry the analog signals.

4. idoran thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thanks for the answer.
    I will order a MiniDP to VGA and hopefully it will work.