Mac Book Pro 15 vs New models

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoulder, Aug 11, 2017.

1. shoulder macrumors newbie

shoulder

Hi, I currently own a MacBook pro 15. I have overheard a conversation regarding Pro 15 vs the new generation MacBook Pro saying that it is not worth purchasing the new version as it tends to lag in some areas when compared to the previous generation (2015). What do you guys think, can you shed any light on the argument? Thanks in advance.

2. Patcell macrumors 6502

What do you have specifically? Do you mean you have a 2015 pro or a 15-inch Pro? The 13" and 15" are vastly different beasts.

3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

I would guess people who suggest the newer one's aren't as fast as the 2015 could own a 2015 and are trying to justify it.

In truth, the newer machines are significantly faster on paper, as anything newer tends to be. In real term usage, they have always (All Pro's) been significantly faster than what most people actually need, so the sheer headroom in performance that wasn't being reaching on a 2015, just has a larger headroom on the 2017. But they're still no where near crippling the machine in performance.

So yes they are faster, but whether they are noticeably faster largely depends on your current use of the machine and how old it is. If you find your current machine perfectly fast, then you will not notice any speed increase (You can't make something that is already fast, faster...). However, if you find your current machine slow and sluggish then you are probably at the peak performance and would benefit from an upgrade.

I would go as far to say that anyone asking these kinds of questions likely does not need a new computer, usually if you need a new computer you know it, and you know what to get. If you are concerned about performance and stuff then you probably work in a field where this is a priority and should professionally already know this stuff. Other people reading random reviews or looking at 'specs' and determining they 'need' something or don't, are simply speculative. So don't worry.

Buy what you need, the best you can afford, when you need it. Simples.

4. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

If you look at synthetic benchmarks on Geekbench, a 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro, which Apple still sells, is nearly as fast with a 2.8GHz processor as the 2.8GHz processor in the new 15-inch model entry-level model. HOWEVER, the new 2.8GHz model also has dedicated AMD graphics. The newer models also have faster I/O with Thunderbolt 3 & USB Type-C, better thermal management, plus the touch bar. That said, the 2015 MacBook Pros are still very solid, very capable computers. You didn't say what specific model of the 15" you have, as some of them also shipped with AMD graphics.

5. Charlesje macrumors member

CPU wise the 2016 s maximum specced 15 inch will be about 20 % faster the the 2015 maximum specced 15 inch when regarding actual performance. The 2017 could be a little faster even, allthough some usecases show some thermal throttling in this years model perhaps making high performance under load less stable.

Next to this the obvious graphical and disk speed upgrades etc.

I think there's no reason nowadays to get the 2015 model, except for its possible lower price tag.

6. No. 44 macrumors member

No. 44

Except for:

1) Better keyboard
    2) Better connectivity
    3) MagSafe
    4) Lack of chronic problems with sticking keys, blown speakers, cosmetic flaws

OP, keep your 2015 model. Hopefully Apple will have ironed out the problems by 2018.

7. Charlesje, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

Charlesje macrumors member

1) similar usability to me
    2) tb3 usbc is faster, provides power supply oppurtunity, and is backward compatible. Sure you need to buy a few replacement cables for older usb or HDMI etc, but I wouldn't buy a new machine without it. Seems to risky regarding future compatibility.
    3) true, MagSafe is missed, and the day I accidently swing this laptop to the ground because of this, it'll certainly overrule all of my other arguments ;)
    4) I, and other users on this forum, never had those problems, while daily using this machine on a professional base. I don't think the 2016 or 2017 models have more problems then the previous gens.

And just a little thing, but important to me nevertheless, the 2016 reissue runs much quieter then the 2015 model...